From Suffolk County VFW commander Dave Rogers:
During this time, we want to ensure veterans that services are still running, there are just some changes in how we are bringing those service to veterans.
While the local VFW’s are closed at this time, our commitment to helping veterans goes on many of us are working remotely and helping in the community as we can. Part of that is letting veterans know where they can get assistance from during this time.
Here are some key points the veterans need to know.
1. Call ahead to the VA before heading there. Routine appointments are cancelled at this time, so if it is not an emergency don’t risk heading out. If you need an update on meds go through https://www.myhealth.va.gov/mhv-portal-web/home or call the VA Hospital 631-261-4400
2. All veteran services are working remotely, so contact the Veterans Service Agency at:
(631) 853-VETS (our Hauppauge Office at 100 Veterans Memorial Highway), or (631) 852-1410 (our Riverhead Office at 300 Center Drive), or via email at: email@example.com or
Leave a message or your information and someone will get back to you.
3. Dwyer Peer to Peer
New operating hours for the Peer Support Line:
• Monday to Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm
• Saturday, 5:00-10:00pm
• Sunday, 2:00-7:00pm
The Peer Support Line can be accessed by calling 631-471-7242 ext. 1217.
• Our online Peer Support Groups can be accessed through this link on our website:
Peer Support Groups are offered:
• Thursday, 7:00pm-8:30pm
• Saturday, 6:30pm-7:30pm
• Sunday, 6:30pm-7:30pm
4. EOC of Suffolk County
With all this going on, veterans will be worried about how they will pay their rent, might need a new job, on the edge of homelessness, need legal assistance. If you are dealing with any of this reach out to the EOC of Suffolk County 631-289-2601. Click here for the website.
5. Services for the Underserved (S:US)
Is working remotely to get assistance or more information contact Tiffany Kehoe at 631-227-0777 or emailTKehoe@sus.org
6. Food Banks
If you know of a veteran in need of food call John at island Harvest. 516-967-3414.
If you are able to pick up for that veteran you can call John to arrange a pick up at their location at 40 Marcus Blvd, Hauppauge, NY 11788, (They will put the food in the trunk or back seat for you, no need for contact.) They also can use people to help deliver food during this time.
Long island Cares
Long Island Cares and their satellite locations are still open, please call the main number for assistance with food and they will get it out to you or let you know where and when you can pick it up, with the high demand they also are working by set times for pick up. Call 631-582-3663
7. Crisis Line
KNOW A VETERAN THAT CAN USE SOME HELP? Here are some Contact Numbers:
White House VA Hotline: 1-855-948-2311
The Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 Press 1
The Veterans Crisis Line is also available by text or online chat:
Suffolk County AA Line 631-669-1124
Though I have to isolate myself do to WTC Lungs, If you are not sure where to call, or need assistance please let me know, I am here to assist veterans as I can.
information is being updated as the situation changes, they can follow me or the SCCVFW on Facebook for updated information as I get it.
Photo: 2019 Veterans Day in Patchogue. (file)