Patchogue’s second annual Alive After Five Winter Wonderland street festival happens this Thursday, Dec. 12, on Main Street, from 5 to 9 p.m. Here’s what to know before you go:
• East Main Street will be closed to traffic between Ocean and Maple avenues starting at 4 p.m. The vendor setup goes from 4 to 5 p.m. Roads should reopen by 10 p.m.
• Food Done It? edible mystery tours will be hosting free marshmallow roasting outside Public House 49, where people could also get a special card to participate in the retail scavenger hunt with a chance to win hundreds of dollars’ worth of prizes from the local shops.
• Santa on a sleigh will also be available for family photos outside Sensationally Sweet at 18 East Main Street all night.
• The Greater Patchogue Chamber of Commerce, which is organizing the event, has secured bounce houses, face painters and, now, two big novelty snow globe attractions that also serve as photo booths.
• Last year’s snow globe was a huge hit, the chamber’s David Kennedy said. So this year, the two snow globes were made possible through sponsorships from Long Island Community Hospital and Suffolk County AME.
• Last year’s inaugural event was misty, but the NWS forecast is calling for sunny and clear skies Thursday into Thursday night, with highs in the mid-30s and lows in the mid-20s. “It will certainly feel like Christmas,” said Kennedy.
• The New Village at Patchogue complex off West Main Street will also be participating, with a tree-lighting ceremony at 5:30 p.m., as well as a petting zoo near the Village Green and treats, special sales and activities for the kids.
• Yet again, there will be no ice rink, though the chamber isn’t giving up on its ice rink plans for upcoming years. This from Kennedy:
“We weren’t able to secure the funding for the ice rink, so unfortunately no ice rink. It’s a lot of money. It’s a lot of work. We made some valiant efforts to try to get it together but we were still about $6,000 short, but we’re still very happy with what’s going to be a great family event.”
Tap for photos from last year: