Mascot Dock repairs Patchogue

Mascot Dock at the end of South Ocean Avenue in Patchogue Village is about to get an overhaul after much of the dock’s boardwalks and benches were badly damaged or completed washed away in a one-two punch from storms Irene and Sandy.

The village’s public works superintendent, Joseph Dean, said work will likely start later this month and run well into August.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency approved reimbursing 90 percent of the re-build — estimated to cost between $1.3 million to $1.4 million — with New York State covering the other 10 percent.

“We just ask the residents to be patient,” said Dean. “We know this has been a long time coming. It’s been out of our hands. We only got the approvals a month ago and we started to implement the reconstruction.”

Work can start as soon as FEMA signs off on the type of piles the village plans to use — specifically, how they’re treated, chemically. He’s hoping two to three weeks for the OK.

It should take about a month to drive those piles, 128 in all, into the bay bottom.

“They are going to be placed between the curb and the bulkhead on the landward side, and that’s going to anchor the new boardwalk so it doesn’t float away on us again,” Dean said.

From there, it will take about another six weeks to repair the bulkhead and frame and build the boardwalk, as well as add lighting, benches and trash receptacles.

“It will basically look like what it used to look like before it got washed away,” Dean said.

Lastly, the concrete curbs will be installed, and then the asphalt — good for another two weeks total.

“I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the middle or end of August,” Dean said. “We just ask people to hang in there a lit a bit longer, and by the snapper season we’ll have a beautiful, new boardwalk for people to go down and catch snapper, or crab, and watch sunsets and eat ice cream.”